About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, October 19, 2023

B is for Big Box! Two of Two

It was a big box! This is the rest of the polymer plunder in Jon's third parcel to the Blog, and again there are all sorts of useful bits and pieces here, and one lovely thing!
 
I think this is all Cherilea, but I've got into trouble in the past saying that about stuff which is actually Hilco, or even old enough to be Johilco, so for now it's provisional! Farm and zoo have very much taken a back seat over the years of the Blog, but hopefully when it all comes together shortly (and I've been saying that on-and-off for nearly three years now!), we will have some mini-seasons on it all, and I'll get the thematic pages knocked-together on the A-Z pages!

More cavalry mounts, always useful as the riders often come separately, sans-weapons and the wholes have to be reunited as a kit of parts, three Deetail, one Herald, one Timpo and quite a good-quality Hong Kong copy of Timpo at the back.

Donkeys, asses, mules and/or ponies, including a daft one from Kinder (heay, they all have their place!), the one with a ribbon is a MEG 'Pocket' pony I seem to recall, and the brown on white should have been in the first image?

Rabbits, I am really looking forward to sorting the rabbits out; in addition to the large lot I got for a song on evilBay a couple of years ago and Blogged at the time, I have found a similar sized lot, a smaller lot from a charity shop and had several purchases of useful individual rabbits (and a plastic version of the hollow-cast family - Taylor and/or Barratt?), so there will be a serious page on rabbits one day! The two brown ones here are the cleanest I've ever seen?

This is the 'lovely' thing! What a thing to find in a parcel of someone's collection sorting! Those who have followed the Blog for a while will know I have a bit of a thing for cable-drums and cable-drum carriers, specifically set-off by my childhood Hornby-Triang one, this is the full-on Binn's Road O-gauge version, in wood with paper overlay detailing, mint-in-box!
 
A truly delightful piece, I have an old tatty-one, possibly with different graphics, but this will fit on one of the OO flat-trucks/bolster wagons . . . I reckon . . . if the sniper-wagon fits under the tunnels, this should! There is also a short well-wagon, I could look out for one of them at Sandown Park? Brilliant!

Two modern farm people from China, one probably to go with a boxed show-jumping set of quite large scale, the other more toward the Elastolin 70mm, and in their style, all will be ID'd from the animal forums in the fullness of time.
 
Along with an orphaned piece of barbed-wire from an 'army-man' set and a piece of scenic rock from a similar rack toy or big-box set, missing some plug-in's, such stuff can often be ID'd from old catalogues.

Odds & sods including Kinder bits, a fluffy dog (who might be a badly-drawn cat), a Playmobil horse and a goose which truanted the poultry-shot! I know I have the late Herald charioteers, placed on bases, but I don't think I have the chariot, so half of one is a start, and I'm sure I'll find one with a complete drawbar and broken wheels for a bit of cut-n-shut surgery?

A super lot of bits here, mostly Britains Herald, with some Swoppet stuff and plenty of spares, the two green bits bottom-left, are from the farm fencing, specifically the style I think? The crawling Indian was always one of my favourites!

 
A few military bits finished the lot, and a Christmas tree hanger erzgebirge figure who looks a little like a Chinese mandarin in his court finest! A Timpo lookout/sentry needs a base which I have somewhere, and the blue policeman seems to be from the same source as the Ackerman (and everyone else) set of six combat troops we've seen before here.

As always, many thanks to Jon Attwood for all this, it may be his chuck-outs, but it will all add to the whole going forwards, and there's always new or useful things in these lots, while that cable-drum . . . lovely!

There's still another big parcel from Jon to Blog, three from Peter Evans, one from Brian Berke (with some very unusual figures), and a Sandown park report, all of which I will try to clear in the next week or so, and I've found a bunch of Charity Shop purchase posts from 2021/2 which need to be cleared!
 

2 comments:

jon attwood said...

Cable drum strangely turned up in a lot of 00 gauge 1960s accessories, out of scale for my collection, but when I read that you were a fan of cable drums I knew it had found the perfect home! Scale is somewhat moot on this one, as cable drums could be found in different sizes according to how much cable they were meant to contain, would be ideal load for a well wagon.
The smaller of the cars in the chariot pic I think goes with some clip together track sections which were in one of the parcels. Purple guy in the same pic could be a character from Space Jam?
Cowboys had makers marks on the back of the trouser fringes (There is probably a proper word for that), and I'm sure the Cherilea animals were marked underneath, so should be an easy sort when the time comes.

Was there a small batch of marked soldiers in this or the previous parcel? I remember seeing one with a BT monogram on the base and a distinctly different style of sculpting, Had drawn a blank identifying him, despite being marked, He may have been packed in Bertie Bassets base?

Cheers again for blogging these, great to see them written up.
J

Hugh Walter said...

I think the track is in the next post? I know the one you mean, we have had one on the blog a few years ago, but they tend to get lost once the tag goes over about 20 entries!

Err, yes, sounds like Bergan/Beton, and there has been one across the table? I may have misled an image? It's a B over a T for Bergan Toy Co., which gets contracted to the Beton brand. I'll re-shoot him!

H