About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, October 28, 2023

H is for How They Come In - Sandown - September, Part 1

Catching-up with the show-repots as another Sandown swings towards us, I was as frugal at the last show as I had been in London earlier in the year, but still managed a fair pile of plunder to share.

These were cheap as chips, probably cheaper, these days! The sort of stuff we used to find in our Christmas Stockings back in the 1960's, Japanese, litho-printed tinplate whistles, it was the cowboys which attracted me, but in the end I bought one of each as there is a large'ish selection of novelty plastic and tin whistles, pan-pipes, whizzers, kazoos, clickers and the like kicking around, so one day they can have their own page!
 
A handful of the Marty/M-Toy (May Moon Industrial) fantasy warriors from the 1980's, I have some and we've looked at them once or twice, but it's worth buying them when they are reasonably priced, for the weapons, which are always short?
 
My expense of the day, there are two wheel/axle sets missing, but the armoured-car is a duplicate, so a bit of cannibalism will get these Triang Minic's back in road-order! Civilian versions of the lorries and car can be found, while we've seen dessert versions of the two AFV's (and the caterpillar-tractor?), and the whole set also comes in RAF blue-grey.
 
Metal from Adrian's cheapie-tray, all aluminium, and one first supposes, all French, but I'm not sure on the scarecrow? The Drummer is Quiralu, not sure about the machine-gunner either, but I think it's actually the British Wend-Al which is probably the attribution for the scarecrow too?
 
The Marx mini-animal, in its original Hong Kong generic box, over-stickered to Combex, who were part of the tail-end of the Marx UK story, so that all makes sense! Adrian had put it to one side for me, so many thanks to him!
 
Not sure on the kennel/out-building, while the Grant's Whiskey premium (die-cast by Britains), is an ongoing thing; I have lots of them in several places, and I don't carry a wants-list, so I tend to grab them when I see them going cheap, against one day bringing them all together and working out what I've got, what I need and how many duplicates I can offload to pay for any missing ones! High numbers tent to be harder to find.
 
Adrian also had these for me, he'd been following the previous posts on the subject, three Lone Star and one Charbens, to be sorted into the collection when the others turn-up from storage!
 
Tudor Rose boats, I actually took the mast from the white one, to complete the bi-colour! Later re-issued by Springwood Mouldings in netted bags as beach toys, which is pretty-much their original purpose! These are marked Tudor Rose.
 
I think this was Poplar Plastics, but we may have just mused on it being so? Can't remember if it was marked, it's big, about 10-iches long, or approximately 150mm figure, and if not Poplar will be Tudor Rose or Kleeware?
 
A small selection of smaller farm and zoo, nothing particularly rare or exciting, but it was a 50p or quid bag? The deer is a little Japanese blow-mould (polystyrene), and the polar bear will be a cake-decoration, also hard 'styrene. The Britains calf is near mint-paint, so probably the highlight.

No comments: