About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

MM is for Roaspaks in Military Modelling Magazine

The short history of Rospaks as a seperate entity of Heroics & Ros (known better for their range of micro-armour, which were much finer castings than the cheap, often lop-sided, Skytrex, I went with!) is best writ by studying the few appearances in Military Modelling magazine, and this post in of those cuttings.
 
November 1981
Trade Ad.
Images show sets AG1 and AG2

November 1981
'Observation Post'
 
December 1981
Trade Ad.
AG2 and AG3

January 1982
Trade Ad.
AG1

February 1982
Trade Ad.
AR1
 
March 1982
Trade Ad.
AR1

April 1982
Trade Ad.
AR1

May 1982
Trade Ad.
AR2 and AR3

June 1982
Trade Ad.
AR2 and AR3
 
October 1982
'Observation Post'

Obviously the magazine is still going (I think; it's years since I bought it), and despite several changes of ownership will still retain some copyrights on the above, which is all from my own archive and shown here for research purposes. The 'Tippex' marks are where I originally wrote-in the publishing dates/details.

It's notable that they stopped advertising some months before the announcement of the end of the line, presumably they were looking for a way to save the project? Less than a year first-to-last and still missed by many, they were quite crude figurines, sculpted in the lead/whitemetal style, but they had a definite charm.

You also have to bear in mind, when these were 99p, a box of Airfix HO/OO figures were about 25/30p?

6 comments:

Ze [Zuplemento.com] said...

MM is for Micro Machines ;-)

Hugh Walter said...

I can't deny it Ze!

H

Anonymous said...

Sadly MM is no more. It was amalgamated with another magazine in July 2018.

https://michaelmouse1967.wixsite.com/mag-a-zone/military-modelling-magazine

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these. I wanted some but never managed to get them. This blog has some nice pictures and Will may have the missing sheet.

https://willwarweb.blogspot.com/search/label/Rospaks?m=0

Anonymous said...

Here are some more.

https://vintagewargaming.blogspot.com/search?q=Rospaks&m=1

Hugh Walter said...

I thought I hadn't seen it for a while, I always sort of scan for it when I'm getting CG, and it seemed to have disappeared!

I hadn't seen the Will's War Web stuff, lovely armies! The Vintage link is on earlier posts on Rospaks, sadly he has the same No.2 sheet as me.

They do turn-up occasionally on evilBay, usually between about 12- and 25-quid! Hand-on for the cheaper options!

H