About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

F is for Found Objects - Six of . . . It's Stick!

You'll be glad to hear! Even I was getting sick of the title thing! There was lots of other stuff 'found' or re-found over the last three years, and we'll be dipping into all sorts for years to come, but this is the last of the bitty-bits, and it's all fabric tonight!
 
A few things from the bedroom drawers which weren't in the mending or sewing boxes, including a plastic thimble from a Christmas cracker (Christmas again!), I've always thought actually using one was a recipe for a needle in the finger, and there's no sign it has been used!
 
Used to love this when we were kids, it's just a really tangible object you want to pick up and handle, marked 'Foreign', it'll be from post-war Japan, and you see them on evilBay with up to ten people, what's nice about it is that each person is made from a fine silk-fabric off-cut, some with their own patterns.

Dad's Borneo formation sign, sleeve badge, Mum must have sewn the poppers on, so it could be removed in the jungle, as it makes a nice upper-torso target! I was a baby at the time and totally unaware of the life & death connotations of everyday life!
 
Mum had this off-cut of fabric, again, probably from Heals or Habitat in Guildford, but it might have been from one of her friends, there was far more thrift back then, than today's throwaway culture, and this heavy material may have been some child's curtains?

Anyway, she had enough to make my Brother and I a cushion each, and I've always liked the jolly guardsmen in their orange and red uniforms, it's - like the dowel animal puppets in an earlier post of this sequence - very redolent of the 1970's design ethic, and you wonder if there may have been other colourways?

No comments: