About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, October 9, 2023

C is for Centaurs!

I've been wanting to track these Merten oddities down for the longest time, and eventually bought a mixed lot of ex-factory stuff off the German eBayer who seems to have inherited a shed-load of them! 
 
As far as I know there's only the three, and they must be quite a late thing as they don't appear to be in the early catalogues, but they are rather fine! The spear is a seperate moulding, for a ring-hand, and for now I've left the excess runner pieces and flashing in-situ. I think the dirt may be a combination of long-storage somewhere dusty, and mould-release agent 'going off'?

I do have one factory finished one, and the debate is do I try to paint the others to match, or do something more home-custom on them? That rather typical Merten-pink is a bit too bright for my liking, Mediterranean God's offspring would have been olive-tanned I feel!
 
From the 40mm range, and with no other fantasy figures I know of from Merten, I guess they were to be fielded against the medievals, to do battle with the many arm-variations of them and seduce the equally numerous medieval maidens which are another favourite of mine from Merten!
 
Comparison between the two like-poses. The runner remnant might be an actual 'sprue' it's quite solid-looking and cone-like, but the cone is facing the wrong way for a typical sprue, and one would assume all three would be on one still smallish tool?

No comments: