About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

G is for the Glorious Gay Gloomy Glosters - Wellington's Fire Brigade!

Neither King’s nor Queen’s, nor Royal Marines,
but 28th. Old Braggs:
brass before and brass behind.
never feared a foe of any kind:
shoulder Arms!

Also known as the 'Slashers' for helping themselves to half the Canadian magistrate Mr. Walker's ear, and historically; the 'Sliver Tailed Dandies', and the 'Flowers of Toulouse'.
 
As well as being known as Wellington's Fire Brigade (Alexandria and Quatre Bras), the Glosters, or Gloucestershire Regime (originally the 28th and 61st regiments of foot, of the line; North and South Glosters) are of course famous for being almost annihilated at the battle of the Imjim River, where they held the line for three days while the entire UN force in their sector withdrew under fire to consolidate the line and prepare to receive the Chinese, a task they carried-out to almost the last round, and the last man.

 
Best regiment in the British Army
But then I would say that, wouldn't I!
 
Britains Eyes Right figure, rushed-out following that action, utilising the US marine head (I think?), someone at Britains obviously said "What does the US Presidential Citation look like?" and someone else said "Blue ribbons on the upper sleeves", meaning medal ribbons, but they ended-up getting some kind of exercise-identifier tape, around both biceps! As if they'd just swum the Atlantic faster than SS France! We saw them here - an even more, ever more, distant youth!

Very brittle now, and this is the only one I have, a recent present; thank you, John Begg! There were riflemen as well, and he's one of the few figures I will display, in a dark cupboard to protect as much as possible from UV light, but it's safer than storing him and risking damage.

No comments: