About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

T is for Terrible Tool-Use

It will kill us in the end, we haven't got the self-control, but this isn't about reality, rather, the fantasy of bringing cut pumpkins to life with little faces, by gouging their eyes out and removing their innards!

Having had some success getting three figures from that set of Halloween cutlery a few Halloweens ago, when I saw these I knew the potential was there. They are not specifically figures, but they are anthropomorphic piles of grinning pumpkins, which will make amusing fantasy figures.

Tesco had them in orange, Home Bargains went with purple and Morrisons had them in all three colours, the boxes suitably illustrated to reveal the contents, but the other two may have had the other colours in different stores/batches?
 
Asda had a double set, with an added ghostly pin-wheel (for decorating the rind?), but having found all three colours over a week or two, I wasn't shelling out three-quid for something which will be available in boxes of kitchenalia at car-boot sales for the next 50-years.

The flesh-cutter would need to be heated and pulled-out with pliers and the 'base' probably cleaned-up, but the spoon should be a simple saw-cut and a soft-sanding; all good fun!

2 comments:

WOODSY said...

Had to use tools like these this week H! The serrated knife was hair raising cutting through the thick pumpkin flesh and nearly my own hand meat! happy Halloween!

Hugh Walter said...

They look viciously stamped out of cheap steel! But a blow-torch and pliers, and they can go off to be recycled into a Ford Focus or something! I'll Blog the newly-created 'figurines' next year!

H