About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

E is for Eerily Eatable Edibles

So, you need some energy to get through Halloween, cold nights and all that jazz, and certainly in the US, who have re-exported this nonsense to us, the bucket of sweets is everything, over here I think it's not been picked-up in the same way, we ARE a reserved lot, but I'm sure on the bigger coucil estates and affordable developements, the parents have lists of 'safe houses' or group tours . . . Luckily, the scrounging little bleeders have never come here . . . bah humbug!
 
We're not looking at normal brands with a cheap, naff, Halloween add-on wrap, but rather more dedicated stuff, which has been produced expressly for the season, and I only found two, there were larger things I wouldn't spend my hard-earned on, but these were both pocket-money, Halloweeny and figural!

So, the choccies were from Lidl, and had the taste of proper chocolate, not the veg-fat, plastic crap Mondelez are converting all our old favourites into! There were 16 figures, under the wrapper, all the same basic jelly-mould sculpt, and I assume you were supposed to get four of each, but I had a three (Dracula/vampires) and a corresponding five (ghosts)! One each of the wrappers was saved for scanning into the archive.

While these came from Morrisons and were all 'strawberry' flavour (a pretty innocuous tutti-fruity if you ask me), although the 'painted' detailing seems to have been dyed flour-paste and could be detected as bland moments on the tongue, before it was all chewed-up properly! And it was real tooth glue! Hey - we taste this shit, so you don't have to!
The bat failed to survive the unwrapping process and shot little bits of grey glass all over the floor of the flat, so that's a chunk of my deposit under threat! Fun, and given the lack of this kind of stuff, to be commended.

No comments: