About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, October 2, 2023

Q is for Question Time - U is for Uglynauts

These were flagged-up by Fred Barratt in an old Plastic Warrior magazine . . . Around the 150's I think, he'd found them on holiday in Australia, I seem to recall, but didn't have a brand name/mark for them.
 
I have a horrible feeling I've even lined them up the same as the PW article, which, if I have, is pure coincidence, but it's how they lend themselves, with the firers to the right and wavey-hands-man over the lowered arm of the next guy!

They are not very good and look like a group of over-acting firefighters! About 50mm and fun, they are - at least - more spacemen! But hard to place in the oeuvre, they're more 'pulp' than anything else? Cardboard helmets, mechanics overalls and wellington boots!
 
Looking at them enlarged, you could claim they are Star Wars knock-offs, one of those dodgy Italian ones with original space-battle clips over pop-numbers and ninjas! There are two 'AT-AT' pilots and four 'stormtroopers'!

Being spacemen, they do have an enemy! Or, the denizens of several planets to conquer/destroy! These are not much better, but marginally more believable, and I have a red example of the chap holding the cattle-prod (2nd from the left) somewhere in storage, so they must have been issued in other colours?

Base mark is like some Toy Major stuff, and some of the similar pirates we've seen from Redbox, or even the buff/tan Halloween sets we've featured in the last few years, can anyone add anything other than "They were in Australia around 2010"?
 
Now known to be [earlyish] Toy Major.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I picked up some of these in a US gaming store probably in that 2010 time frame or maybe earlier. I think they were Toy Major, or a similar name - the same company that made the variant clones of Timmee/Processed Plastic GIs and somewhat odd Cowboys and Indians (Indians wth swords, cowboys wth snubnosed revolvers) that later made it into the long-running ToyRUs True Heroes buckets.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Dan, that is exactly the sort of information we need . . . Almost sounds like Boley, but they had different, smooth bases, but I know the Indian you mean, it's something to go on, cheers!

H