About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

A is for Actually, I Quite Liked It!

Another board game and this one's got 54mm'ish figures which will happily go with Star Wars Command figures, and a few of the other metal, PVC or resin figure sets issued over the years in that 54-60mm goldilocks zone, as called for by fans, but never supported well enough to last long in the market-place!

It wasn't a bad fillum, it just wasn't what people wanted, which is not the same as what you might expect, which is a good movie, with a half-decent plot and a big budget, which is what we got! Yeah, some of the acting could have been better, but that's what happens when you mix kids and animals, or Gungans! "Yessur'masser, I be pickin' many cott'n today sah!"
 
The board - as you can see - was a complicated arrangement of slot-together card levels, platforms and other bollocks, and went straight in the recycling bin! I was after the figures! I kept the big ball-firing weapon-thing, but I didn't photograph it, because it's a bit naff, to be honest!
 
Characters, our two Jedi hero's and a princess, classic story, boy meets girl - the first three movies were a 'Western in Space', the second trio were a series of romances and bromances that went bad, Disney before they even owned the franchise!
 
The 'soldiery', two Gungans and two Nabootian Palace Guards, has anyone considered that bloody humans clearly came to, and claimed, someone else's planet? Or the above-water bits, at least!
 
Some of the models are in more than one part to allow for dynamic posing within the twin constraints of production and standard, or pretty standard games-box size. Or games-box shelf-size, this was issued when 50% of production, or thereabouts, in Western territories, would have gone to Toys'R'Us?
 
The bad guys, although we know two of the 'golden boys' above will turn out to be pretty effing awful! A pair of Trade Federation goons, The Emperor, Darth Scrawl'led all over his face and several Battle-droids.
 
A driedecker, no, that's a WWI plane, 'Droidecker'? Wookiepedia says spell it 'Droideka' (also known as destroyer droids ('destroyers' for short))! In Red Barron red, so that's all making far more sense than it should be, really! "You have five seconds to comply!", in my best 'Open Bank Holiday Monday' voice!
 
More parts!

Plotting! They're plotting, the bastards!

There's more in storage, and I didn't bother with the big Disney-Vietnam vinyls, but the recent Clone Wars Wookie is a tad on the big side, with the key-rings and Hologram Series (pink and blue) being a tad on the small side, but painted and based they would all be useful 'army builders'. Also seen is a Star Wars Command kneeling stormtrooper and what I think is a knock-off (from Chris?) keyring.

The late, and much missed Boysey-boy taking an uncharacteristic interest in the subject at hand, I still well-up every time I pass the big pet-shop in town as I have no reason to go in and explore the treats section, we'd just discovered those Bonkers catnip treats which are like cocaine for cats!

No comments: