About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, December 11, 2023

M is for Merry Mass of Malleable Model Mayhem! 4 - Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Cartoon, TV & Movie

So we're up to part four, with what I think will be five to come, and I've combined a couple into two others, in fact, this is one, it was sci-fi and Fantasy as one post and TV/Movie as another, but after a couple of collages it made sense to throw them together, although I think one may fall under 'circus' which should be in the civilian post!

Army Ants, ants in armies! These were more popular on the other side of the Channel where in Italy they were known as Combattini, elsewhere Terminators (termites? Yeah!) I think I erroneously told Chris they were Exogini, which is another line altogether! There's loads about them on the LRG sites, and I first encountered them in Lucky Bags in around 1994-97, when, as a small-scale only collector hoping to find old Giant mouldings or at least new HO stuff, I passed these on!
 
The same Lucky Bags were also full (well, one figure per bag!) of Novalinea (TMNT) and Panosh (Horror, Ninjas) stuff, and from the colours and softness of these, Panosh is a good bet for originator factory, in the 'States Hasbro picked them up, but did them in flat orange and blue. The glitter-bums (a term coined by the LRG groups, not me!) are removable, but prevent some of them from standing-up properly!

Four more Bi-Trons from Pikit/Gordy, and a colour variant, there's already a follow-up on the way, surprised the two-P's haven't managed to find these on evilBay, or Worthpoint yet and Blog them as 'new' or never-seen-before!
 
This is fun! It's a vague US Marine Corps amphibious personnel-carrier (LVTP-7 / AAVP-7A1), but with three axles instead of two caterpillar-tracked units, and contains the smallest AFV's you ever saw, except for some smaller one I could spend awhile listing!

Chris reports there were two, the other a more obvious green/camouflage, and the realistic-coloured AFV's and white rocket went in that, while this silver one had the blue/silver kit. Very-much in the vein of those UFO's we looked-at, at the end of last month - a Polly Pocket / Mighty Max knock-off, micro-playset!

The other rocket-bomb to come-in recently, and it's slightly different to the previous one, having more rivet-detailing. Behind it to the right is a Weetos Moon Landing premium from 1994, over it is a rocket which looks like the Jean one, but I'd have to check, there are so may of them, all slightly different.
 
Under it is a Lik Be/LB space-tank! Lacking it's rear load, but 'fitted-for-dozerblade', I may have one of the Lone Star knock-off pom-poms in the spares to fit? While in front is a robot, who also appears to be a projectile of some kind, possibly from a larger Transformer's fist?

All sorts! I think the two zombies are from the 'Zombies!!!' role-playing game, there's a bit of Bluebird (in blue!), a Tente astronaut, a Toyway astronaut (as we've seen here previously, if it was GLJ* it would have silver paint!).
 
Another astronaut/spaceman is the silver Giant clone, the little chap down the front might be from the Warhammer micro' sidekick Epic? The head is obviously from an old toy, and while he could be a racing-car driver, or a pilot, he looks a bit spacey to me, almost Thomas Toys or Flash Gordon'esque?
 
Which leaves an Egyptian looking LRG I can't place and a warrior from the King Kong 3rd (2005) remake playsets, which were by Playmates I think, very-much in the style of Galoob's Action Fleet stuff, they also did a small range of Star Trek items.
 
* That's the G.L.J. Toy Co., Inc., of Syosset, New York, of course, don't forget to mention the town, even if you haven't on a thousand other toys, you must mention the town with GLJ, because I did once, I forgot just now, silly me, but I'm still learning!

Having mentioned them in the Snakes & Ladders post the other day - a Bobby Bruin from the Bruin Boys, set in what I hoped was his original card-holder, obviously from a board-game, research quickly revealed that actually he's from a bagatelle set, and went on a different holder!
 
Two Nestle or part premiums to the left, a cake decoration Putti in the centre, and a 101 Dalmations figure (also Nestle), with a Marx (Swansea or Hong Kong) for Codeg, Trumpton Peter the Postman on the end.

Morph! It's only a bloody Morph! God-knows who the pink lady . . . lamb (?) is, but she's possibly newish, and clearly from a vehicle, as is the Thunderbirds Lady Penelope, from Dinky, we've seen the Disney Pecos Bill copy before, while the dog in a dinner-jacket is an actual Dinsneykin - Mother Hubbard's. The green & yellow thing is possibly a modern mobile-phone cord accessory, while the monkey . . . 
 
. . . is off the wall! He may be from a circus set, as the only pose I can imagine is riding a unicycle, but that would need to be about the same size as the monkey, and have a base, and I can't think of a single Circus, Space or any other set that fits the bill. It's painted polyethylene and about 50mm. Cake decoration?
 
Two Nazi's and an oil-drum! I recognised these home-made Star Wars characters almost immediately, as being the accessory figures/drum, from the old Tamiya German WWII and side-car kit, as we had it when we where kids.
 
The greatcoat of the standing figure being ideal for paring-back to Wookie-fur with a pyrogravure, while Han should be carrying an MG34 on his shoulder, coincidently the gun used by Imperial Stormtroopers as the DLT-19 Heavy Blaster! While a rather giraffe'y R2D2 is 'manufactured' from one of the oil-drums which also came in that set!

5 comments:

Spectrum Steve said...

Good morning, Hugh.

In Picture six of this post the standing pair of legs, and the Jester figure are Nestle premiums as you thought. In this case they are from the Disney version of 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' and were packaged in a chocolate ball wrapped in foil, in a square cardboard box. There were a total of twelve to collect and this was also done for Disney's version of 'Hercules' and possibly other Disney films but that would need more research (not up to it at this time, been off work with painful illness!)

Spectrum Steve said...

Hi again,

Can't help myself,but....the female animal driver rings a bell, but I can't quite place her. As for the green and yellow piece....to me it looks a lot like the character 'Mer-Man' from 'He-Man and the Masters of the Universe' (in fact, looking at pictures, i'm darn sure it is)

Hugh Walter said...

Hi Steve, sorry to hear of your poorliness, I hope you're on the mend? On the first point, I may have posted the flyers for them, if not I'll try and dig them out, as I have posted some of it in the bast?

On the 2nd/3rd points, could she be a Richard Scary character, from The 'States? Maybe a passenger rather than a driver?

I'm sure you're right, I wasn't worrying as it's modern, like probably in the shops still - I think it's one of those Mobile-phone/Luggage-tag charms?

H

Spectrum Steve said...

Hey Hugh,

Thanks for the kind thoughts, much appreciated. If you were wondering, the painful part was a clue,as to my utter amazement, I found out I once had Chickenpox! (I must have been too young to remember) because as you may or may not know, having this can lead to an encore performance by Shingles which results in blistering of the skin and nasty pain. Still, progress is being made and hopefully I am over the worst (this typed while wincing!)

once again, thanks for the well wishes and have a good Christmas and New Year

Hugh Walter said...

Oh mate! I can only commiserate! Mum had shingles a few years ago, and it wasn't good, equally, I can sympathise to some extent as I've been having these heat-rash/Hive attacks, which I think I've traced to washing-liquid/powder residue in my clothing, and it's like falling in an ant heap, only my head, hands and spine, and sometimes the soles of my feet escape, but a cool shower and a snooze can get rid of it! So I'm sure it's not half what you're going through?

When we were kids, all the local Mum's would have measles, mumps, chicken-pox or whooping cough parties, where the infected terror would go round and infect everyone else, exactly so we didn't get them in adulthood!

H