About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

F is for Follow-up - Märklin

Using only the sheer power of the Overnight-Interwebby-Thing, Jon Attwood has sent the Märklin 0203 set, and in the course of sorting it through the pending railway posts, I found another image he sent for the original post, and because there's lots more to come from other railway brands, I thought "Best get this up here now!"

First his loose figures; better paint than mine (one of mine, you may have noticed, is repainted), but several of his are suffering from what looks like zinc pest (zinc-rot or zamak/mazac-rot), so they may well be die-cast after all, see my note on the previous post - click the Märklin Tag to get them all up.

And 0203, with the correct label, I'll make a mental note to do a comparison shot with the Hong Kong ones arranged the same one way, one day, but for now, thank you, Jon (he's sent lots of stuff!), and another box ticked!

4 comments:

jon attwood said...

The loose ones with corrosion are, I think, The Timpo versions, less detailed painting and a poorer (cheaper) alloy are a giveaway.
As far as I know Marklin were keen on quality control for their own branded product, but would put out lesser items for export, probably via Wettig?
The suspected Timpos are slightly larger and significantly lighter, although a lot of this could be down to expansion of the alloy and bits falling off.
J

Hugh Walter said...

It's never that easy, is it! I didn't even know Timpo did/carried them? Oh, well I'll leave it for now, I think most people tend to read the comments, and when I get everything out of storage we'll have another go!! Cheers Jon.

H

jon attwood said...

The Timpo versions are in Joplin, though not at all easy to see when reproduced at half size. They were among the earliest of the range, when Timpo were mainly importing.
J

Hugh Walter said...

Oh yes, 511, the base colour is very Maerklin (no umlaut in comments!), so my musings on Die-cast'ness stand even if one of the conclusions might be wrong! I'll leave it like it is for now, on both posts, or it'll be paragraphs of pink-ink!

H