About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, December 4, 2023

H is for How They Come In - Sandown Park, November, 1 of 2

Well, I certainly didn't think I'd be doing a two-poster here, I was still on a tight-leash, and behaved myself, with a total spend of well under a hundred which is not common these days, back when I was a small-scale collector I could go to a show and get away with 60-quid, and still go home with huge bags of shite to sort out, not that you find those bags for a fiver these days! And I've just done a London show for less than 60, but they are future posts!

This was a real bargain, or two, the Brabo soldier (who I've been after since I first saw him in evilBay about 15-years ago) was a grail-find, and came in the bag with the scenic bits I think (Timpo, Britains and Speedwell), but the 'witch' was a surprise find, more so as we saw it here, quite a few moons ago, as a probably American newspaper cutting, the cutting is almost certainly American (it was from the James Chase collection), but this figure, clearly the same, is equally clearly marked MADE IN ENGLAND?
 
As an aside, it had escaped my notice that the Timpo sandbag-walls came in two sizes?
 
Novelty tape-measure, almost certainly from Japan, and you can see the tape is mostly missing, after failing near the spring. A quick google suggests I may be able to track down a replacement with the same dimensions, if not I have some old 'boring' key-ring tapes somewhere, and I bet the mechanisms will prove useable for a restoration job?
 
The Indian is a caricature type, but would go well in a display with the similar figures from Jecsan and Lik Be / LB, as they are all as daft as each other!

Some kind of Transformer knock-off?
 
Space tank! Space rocket! Space robots . . . Spacemen! A few days later, Chris (forthcoming posts) sent me a better rocket! All grist to the mill here, I'd love a brand on the tank if anyone recognises it?
 
Skandi' tractor, German coach and a pile of shite! Actually a couple of useful jig-toy trucks, one of which will need paint stripping, a Lucky Clover chariot (and very brittle driver) and cracker-toy, water-squirt pistol novelty.
 
This is fascinating, if only for its age, it's marked-up Pressman who are still with us, but will be a WWII-era, US, austerity piece, it's seen better days and with both the box and the soldier 'tray' now failing all over the place, Adrian announced it would probably be going in the bin, so I ended-up with it!
 
After I'd cobbled together the previous shots, I finally released them from their die-cut slumber, and popped one together for this post, but they are all in a bag, and I will try to find a way of displaying them at journey's end.

Duplicate Montaplex ACW set, still carrying a late 1930's bomber! And one of the 4D puzzle toys, we have looked at before now, seems to be the same as the Poundland Tiger/M1's of a few years ago, but another issue/tranche, here as a generic?

2 comments:

William A. Sumruld said...

I think the space rocket had a cap in it to make a pop when it landed nose first.

Hugh Walter said...

Yes William, I tagged it 'Cap Bomb', but my blurb IS a bit brief tonight! I've just scheduled Part 2 for 9.30 and can barely keep my eyes open, so I'm off to bed, hope you enjoyed the rest of it!

H