About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, December 31, 2023

J is for John Piper

A strange one this, for a short while in the late 1970's and early 1980's, this firm - John Piper - seemed to flourish, with smart, well illustrated adverts across the modelling press, railway, naval and military, I don't know if the aircraft modellers were similarly enticed?

Yet, the paucity of stuff they seem to have actually left behind, the lack of familiarity people have with their products compared with, say, Scale Link or [Françoise] Verlinden, suggests they didn't actually ship much product for the cost of all that glossy advertising?

And one has to assume there was a major investment by someone, a backer or the eponymous Mr. Piper himself? The trouble is, even the model railroad hobby, much bigger than vintage toy soldier collecting, can only support so many small, 'garage' businesses, with those that start to struggle in the regular downturns, selling to one of the slightly bigger concerns, so that they might ride-it-out with an increased inventory, while the small guy escapes, hopefully with a small profit, or breaking-even, or at least still with his shirt?

Courtesy of Jon Attwood
(I love the Lettraset font!)


I may have a few of the figures in the unsorted/unknown section of the whitemetal tub in storage, but don't recognise any of the above, off-hand, while I lusted after the AFV's, as they would have gone with the Roco and Roscopf stuff, Dad's instructors had given me in Neuhausen! The 'Grey Goose' apparently turns-up occasionally, usually for a lot of money! The choices of odd scales can't have helped with the military sales?
 
I have a feeling John Piper over-extended with the launch and marketing, found the markets weren't that big and folded with the sort of debts that require the assets being weighed-in for scrap? Does anybody have any solid info' on what happened to them, or their tools, how much business they did, or what their history was? Is there anything in G2 or On Parade in the back-catalogue of Military Modelling? For now at least, box ticked.

2 comments:

jon attwood said...

John Piper traded as M.A. Model Accessories from 1977 to 1980, when the range was taken over by Miltra, mentioned in Garratt.
I have emailed you a few pics of Piper product.

Hugh Walter said...

Got. and replied Jon

Thank you very much, I will cobble a follow-up together, don't open the packs, it's not worth it! And I recognise the spikes, I think I have a few for another day. And I should have thought to look in Garratt, his book came right after all these ad's were running?

H