About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

C is for Canoes - 14 - Tim Mee

Tim Mee have two canoes, I've seen the first in red, green and yellow, but we're looking at all yellow ones today, courtesy of Brian B again;

The first version is a slightly clumsy design, presumably meant to be a bath toy, but given long rods on either side (missing here) to help its path as a carpet-toy by keeping it upright, the over-emphasised keel otherwise making standing level impossible - Brain has leant his against the bank of his encampment here, to show it to us in a realistic attitude!
 
An online image shows one of the two long rods or spigots which contact with the surface and keep the boat level for flat-surface play, lifting the figure to the same height as any of standing around it!
 
The re-design gave it more of a 'waterline' look, and it's one of the problems with these (the Cherilea particularly), how realistic do you make something which only stays level in a bath or basin, but which is going to be played with on the floor or a table?
 
This, both Tim Mee's in fact, are smooth-hulled models in the streamlined style of modern canoes, but I guess by the time US forces or the RCMP in Canada were using commercial designs of plank construction, some must have found their way into Native hands? I'm musing out-loud here, I don't know for sure!

No comments: