About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, May 4, 2023

E is for Eggcellent Effigies!

I had this figure, can't now remember if it was from Chris, Peter or one of my own purchases (I suspect Chris, but thank all) but I posted it in the other place, asking for help, and Peter rememeberd it was part of a set of Hong Kong cake decorations from way back when . . . 

. . . so what I thought was a squib and powder-pot on some unknown Nappy, was actually a limp brush and glue-pot on one of the 'King's Men'! He's a perfect 54mm though and, like most HK cake decorations; a hard polystyrene plastic.
 
So, I was off to evilBay to see if I could find the rest of the set, the figure on the left was the first candidate, and a cheaper one was procured, and a second soon followed from SSCO, seen in the right-hand image with some figures that were hanging around . . . and they were from Chris, so the soldier must be too? Another Spanish National Guardsman and an Oklahoma standard-bearer from Argentina.
 
It seems Peter Evans was by now on the case and the two, top-right, arrived a day or two before my next purchase on the subject (another from SSCO), they have a wire-twist, heat-sunk into their backs for use as - rather diminutive - Christmas tree hanging ornaments, the wires having been carefully removed from the backs of Peter's.
 
Which, as I kept photographing them as they came in, got us to this point, and I don't think I've found any of the ones that might go with the guy on pasting-duty, but certainly the two Humpty's can sit easily with him and these are all 'styrene.
 
In the meantime, I couldn't resist the bisque chap on the left here, seen with Marx 'Fairykin', who was no-money, BIN, I collected the next as an Internet image, being a larger ceramic ornament, while the candle-holder one on the right seemingly matches these? Even to the point of putting them together at the other end, as they probably belong together?
 
By now, I was getting a little out of control on the subject of Humpties and ended-up bidding on this hugormous PVC-rubber Palitoy squeaky-toy, who's squeak has died without ever leaving the bag! :-(

Both sides, scale comparison coming below, it's as good as the day it left the factory, apart from the dead squeak, and while nowadays these are all sold as dog-toys, they used to be popular with kids too, in a simpler age!
 
Oh, it's not Poly Vinyl-Cloride, it's 'Cascathene'! And four-shillings and ten pence was a lot of money back when we last used a stupid currency based on twelfths and sixteenths! In today's money; about four quid?
 
The line-up around the time I was Blogging the Fairykins, I keep searching, about once a week, but so far haven't really found anything to match the chap with the floppy glue-brush, so a future post for sure! And I have the larger Marx one somewhere!
 
For now, I leave you with the fact that he has never been described as an egg, just shown as one, all people ever publish is the rhyme, which makes no mention of his material make-up?

No comments: