About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, May 19, 2023

H is for How They Come In - Chris - Everything Else!

Oh no, it's the last post! Being everything Sci-fi, fantasy, TV and Movie related, plus an animal which ex'caped the earlier post! And speaking of capes, as I managed to with some convoluted slight-of-English . . . 

These came in together! Now, I actually bought the Robin because I knew I needed his base, and in Chris's lot was both the Batman head/cape AND the Robin cape, which I'm not sure if I knew I needed! More than that, I don't really recognise the batman head/cape at all, so, while I thought I had a whole batman (needing base) and a couple of Robins' also needing bases, I think I may have had (prior to this lot) a bat man body, and a couple of robin bodies - who thankfully have a head!

What is also interesting is that the studs on this base are offset from each-other, symmetry-wise, while the one I got at a Sandown park a while back and showed here has studs with more symmetry, so they are figure specific . . . and I should now be able to produce two complete figures at some point in the future when - the now three - stashes are brought together! Indeed that, there, is a complete - Cherilea - Robin the Boy Wonder; it will just be a case of which one's got the best surviving paint!

Another of the articulated Dinosaurs! But this one is more 'monster-like, so ended up here with the premiums, which include two Weetabix stackable Poppit 'Puff-Kin' cereal premiums, and two of the Pop Pallino's from Raja ice cream. It's very hard to date the dinosaurs, the three that have turned-up so far, are all so clean they could almost be current (however, I've not encountered them?), but the styling is equally 1970's, gum-ball novelty/capsule-toy type, so . . . any ideas?

The King of the Seabed Serenader's, Neptune himself courtesy of Kellogg’s's Puffa-Puffa rice, found here in the UK, as a set of eight, and in Australia as a fifteen-pose count. Another of the 'Macrobot' astronauts we looked at a while-ago, a modern chap who might be Ben-10, and another polyethylene 'monochromatic' robot type.
 
He may go with those small spaceships we looked at recently - I saw four in eraser rubber the other day which mentioned Dunkin (not empirical, it was an evilBay lot!), but the lot included one of these mecha's, and I have several in both materials, so there may be more to come on the whole-lot; mini-ships and robots?

Three from Disney, a Marx full-size thief from 101 Dalmatians, along with a Disneykin Captain Hook, and a rather nice Peter Pan from JIM of France, damaged, but happy to take him as a first sample.
 
Another of the sucker things, I did get a name for them the other day, but I've forgotten it! Some current or near-current 'blind-bag' collectable though, with a Kinder (or Nestle?) Frozen to the far right, they flank a skeleton archer from Polotoy, hard to find, I still only have three or four now, but I think Shaun of the Fantasy Figures blog might have bought them all!
 
A LotR game piece and deform Star Wars pencil top, a Harry Potter (or knock-off) and a figure who could be a policeman, could be a chauffeur and has some of the look of a Gerry Anderson character about him are the middle row, that last one probably needs the trouser paint removed?

While the bottom pair are a Hasbro Action Man (new type) micro-figure and a Star Wars 'Twi'lek' from Wizards of the Coast, a line/range we will look at properly one day, I had a large tub of them from years ago, and bought a boxed set with extra figures not that long ago, but all currently in storage!

A couple of battered 'dime store' spacemen, but of interest as they are the smaller ones around 40/45mm (and I picked up another three at PW last weekend), I assume, from their UK purchase that they could be Tudor Rose or Kleeware, but it's by no means certain!
 

Finally, this chap missed the animal post, but cartoony stuff ends up with the above at first sort anyway! I love him because I think we had some when we were kids, possibly, therefore, a cereal premium I'll have to look-up on Cereal Offers at some point, not sure if it's the Pink Panther, or just a cartoon animal, but it's obviously missing its slot-in arm section.

As always, it's many thanks to Chris for everything we've seen in these posts, some sell this stuff at car boots, some give it to charity, a lot throw it away, but when I bring it all together at the other end, you'll see how it forms the whole and fills the gaps (that's a mixed metaphor, if ever I used one!) - Cheers Chris, lots of wonderful things!

4 comments:

Spectrum Steve said...

Good morning Hugh,

So, the Star Wars Pencil Topper..Is not! it is a figure from the Star Wars 'Fighter Pods' Toy/Game line. Basically you put the figures in a clear plastic pod and rolled them at each other to fight Battles. The pods could also be put in vehicles to let them roll around (the character you have is Savage Opress, brother of Darth Maul by the way) But you were right about the Gerry Anderson Figure! It is in fact Captain Scarlet and would have come from the Vivid Imaginations Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle (I don't think it's the Dinky one as the Plastic looks more modern to my eyes)

A bit long winded but I wanted to be as precise as I could!

Hugh Walter said...

All good and useful stuff, Steve! We have looked at the funny little Star Wars before I think, I have a few somewhere now, with a couple of the little pods, so I suspected there was more to them, but like with some of the Zuru/Moose blind-bag stuff, he can go over a pencil as they're quite soft and stretchy!

And many thanks on the Captain Scarlet figure! He just had the look of an animatronic puppet sans strings! I picked up a yellow, Kellogg's 'Hood' the other day, but now I've seen Pete & Dud's parody a few times I struggle to see through them to the original!

H

Terranova47 said...

The blue figure in the second photo looks like one from the Magic Roundabout figures from Nabisco Short Bread packs in the early 70's.

Hugh Walter said...

It's certainly similar, but photographed from a dodgy angle by a dodgy photograper . . . but they may well have shared a designer/sculptor or two, all that Ola/Raja stuff seems to have come from one or two sources?

The Pop Pallino's can be seen here;

http://vmminiartemonocromaticos.blogspot.com/2010/07/r.html

H