About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

H is for How They Come In - Chris - Combat Troops

We've seen the paratrooper parachutists in the first post, but this is the rest of combat types, which is World War One to the present day, and we're starting with a bit of heavy metal; "Generals gather in their mass'ehhhhs . . . just like witches at black mah'has'ehhs!" Probably one of the worst lyrics ever, it's the sort of song lyric 14-year old Rock-dreamers write on the back of their geography text books! It's the same word Ozzy, you can't have masses twice, it grates!

The above trio are all probably home-cast piracies, with this quick-mix, soft silicone it's very easy to make short-life moulds now, and we have two Matchbox US Infantry clones and an older Lone Star who seems to have been painted as a German Fallschirmjäger?

But, below, are far more interesting, as they are a further example of the ones I got from Italy, as a follow-up to the plastic ones Chris sent in a previous donation? Royal Fail managed to break one, but they are die-cast, so a spot of superglue and the activator pen should sort that problem in an instant!
 
And all comments in the previous post about Peltro apply here too. There is some more to come on these at some point, but it'll have to wait for a 'bitty post'! Unlike the Germans, where each got a separate title, these are all dubbed simply 'US MARINE'.

A right old mix here, have we had the top left one before? I'm pretty sure Chris or Peter E have sent us one, and I think I had one somewhere, he seems to be from some kind of wire-slide thing, or possibly a helicopter rescue/extraction set, but could be a parachute toy? Odd anyway!

Another large scale tank commander (sand yellow), I was looking at them on eBay the other day and there's a lot of these 1:24, 18, 16th or larger models out there, but the budget required for that hobby is beyond me! Another of the seated US sailor/gunner . . . someone must know what he's from, he keeps turning-up, so there must have been a shed-load of them once?

Kit legs from some poor unfortunately eviscerated soul, two types of 'Payton' (et al) seated figure - we will do all the trucks one day and colour match the crews, but I haven't made a concerted effort to find and purchase the necessary lorries yet!

A nice Timpo swoppet first type US officer clone, a Supreme Russian and a copy of the Deetail Japanese Infantry, but it's not the Kwong Wah version, which have a separate, plastic version of the later style Deetail base, with rounded ends? This one has the earlier, oblong base, integrally-moulded.

The base of the Supreme figure is marked Fuliduo Toy Factory, which may give sustenance to one of my 'eemies', but I don't think there's much to excite, the figures were wildly announced in the Toy Press as Supreme back in the day, and I suspect this is either the full name (as in address) of one of Supreme's facilities or a subcontract/contractor? And they're not a Russian firm, they just copied a lot of the Zvezda-Italeri sets!

The two red figures are probably Italian firefighters from a large beach-toy fire-engine, a stable-mate of the Politoys (et al) DUKW? Some more shades of those funny flats of the Lone Star/Britains khaki infantry - I picked up a red one at PW! The gunner from the Corgi Dingo is useful, as is the Dunkin (et al) machine-gunner.
 
The kit figures (top left), Monogram and Aurora (I think), are also nice additions as there are often many colours of these kits, each production-batch being produced in a new colour, so building sets takes forever, while to their right we have another two commanders from battery-operated/radio-controlled/push-and-go or clockwork tanks, which will all be attributed one day, and having the figures is better on 'room used' than having all the tanks!

All good stuff and many thanks to Chris Smith for them!

5 comments:

Gisby said...

I thought the helicopter pick-up guy was from a recent post but I cannot find it: I thought he was in the upper right of the photo, and you wondered about the helicopter pick-up, and made a joke about him flogging a handsaw in the middle of a battle. Am I wrong?

Hugh Walter said...

No, I think you're right mate, I just can't find him! I think I have three or four now, so I could sell them as a pioneer detachment - bow saws 'ready' - to a 54mm war gamer! But it doesn't hurt to see him again, he might jog someone's memory?

H

Gisby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gisby said...

Hah! Wednesday April 22, 2022 - H is for How They Come In - Chris - October 2021 - Military & Sci-Fi Stuff

https://smallscaleworld.blogspot.com/2022/04/h-is-for-how-they-come-in-chris-october_01946716408.html

Hugh Walter said...

There we go! Well spotted mate!

H