About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, May 18, 2023

H is for How They Come In - Chris - Ancients & Medievals

So, we're back in time a bit from yesterday, with a look at the various bod's in armour, leather or chain-mail in Chris Smiths recent parcel to the Blog, only the two shots, but lots to cover!

Going vaguely clockwise from the big metallic maroon chap, who you may recognise as being the chariot driver (well; 'crew', he's hardly in control of a team of horses!) from the Hong Kong copies of the Thomas chariot, then we have one of the red copies of Airfix Romans, he's from the odd HK sets which come with a chariot but no wheels . . . and - sometimes - an ACW gun, in 54mm!
 
In the right-hand corner we have a Kinder Roman auxiliery cavalryman, with no damage (they can be brittle, as can the similar set of musketeers), and both halves of his horse! Below them the unmarked (smooth base) version of Giant Roman clones, seen here as Woolbro / Generics, with a Quaker/Tom-Smith gladiator's horse in the middle. So, it's all Mighty Rome in the ancients department this time, even if some of them are Trojan clones!
 
The Medievals are an equally interesting mix, with two of the Exin Castilos figures, these came with a Spanish Lego-likey building system, to add playability to an otherwise - really nice - infant toy.
 
But to their right, up in the corner is a very interesting figure, which I'm guessing is Eastern European, although equally he might be Portuguese, he's similar to those Starlux copy premiums, but isn't a Starlux pose? And I thought I already had one or two, possibly also from Chris, but I can't find them on the blog, so they may have come from somewhere else and gone to storage?

Below him is half a Kinder knight's horse, the other half is bottom centre! The other two on the bottom row are mentioned again below, while the silver/gray pair are the MPC small knights.

The white guy is also MPC, but from the larger set, and he's in one piece, I do have one or two in the 'master collection, ironically red and black ones I think, but they are scruffy and damaged, this chap is complete, they tend to break at the bow string or bow itself, so a very useful addition.
 
While the Lido clone (of which we have already seen hard and soft plastic copies with or without paint), is semi-flat to a thinness that qualifies as just 'flat'! Possibly a gum-ball capsule-machine prize? But might have had a rack-toy issue as well? I may have one or two in an orangey-red from years ago somewhere, so expect a return to these in a future 'odd flats' round-up!

No comments: