About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, May 13, 2023

C is for Canoes - 5 - St. Labre School

We have seen the sub-scale, semi-relief Tee-Pee/Tipi from St Labre, and the Totem Pole (way back at the beginning of the blog and incorrectly tagged Labere School, which I can't edit due to rule changes!), so it's nice to be revisiting them in the canoe 'season', where they go big . . . really big!

Approximately 5" figures with a boat to match, we have what are facially kids (with native features), but dressed as adults, with a full war bonnet on the boy, and the girl holding an Indian blanket. The boat may not belong with them, being from a set of action-figures, but they fit it, so it's here as we have St. Labre in the tag-list already!
 
I've mentioned before that I assume they were some kind of fundraising thing, but I used to think gift-shop or open day types, but you often see mailing boxes in their evilBay lots, so they must have been more of a fundraising catalogue thing?
 
I keep meaning to get the Indian tom-tom drum salt and pepper shakers, but haven't yet! However, I think this is mine (I vaguely recognise the background as a carpet tile I sometimes shoot on!), and she is the third figure of the set above, to which a baby in a stick-frame papoose is a forth human element.
 
Brian also sent a scaler, with a few other items on his desk-top, you can see it's a biggie! There's Timpo there, the Britains 'trapper' canoe copy and Tim Mee in the foreground. St. Labre did do a canoe, in birchbark with leather 'bootlace' stitching, but does anyone recognise this one?
 
And a big thanks to Brian for all the canoe stuff he sent to the Blog, we'll be posting it into June I think, and that's some St. Labre School stuff, box ticked!

No comments: