About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, May 11, 2023

H is for How They Come In - Chris - Uniformed Personnel and Historical Troops

The 'historicals' and emergency personnel get unified this time, by a matching pair, and I filled the post out with some pirates, well, you would, wouldn't you? It's add them or walk the plank!

The usual shake of Tudor Rose and similar beach-toy/big-box 'ethylenes in the top corner (Theo has given me most of the 'gen on them, for the planned firefighter page), while the motorcycle cop is obviously off another big-box (very big box) toy!
 
He could be re-painted to match the pale fawny/tawny . . . 'taupe' uniforms of Officer's Poncherello or Baker from ChiPs, one of our favourite early evening entertainment slots when we were kids, Harley' Electra-Glides? Only a Sportster trumps them!
 
Two chauffeurs,  the larger having something of the Hong Kong clockwork/push-and-go about him, the smaller could be from anywhere, and a policeman on traffic duty. Now, I think we've looked at him before, and a shout went out in Plastic Warrior magazine - they're having some sort of get-together on Saturday I believe - I think I'm washing my hair that day?
 
But as yet there's been no comeback on what must be a largish toy. He's a hard, but glassy, early polystyrene, with a heavy metal mounting rod, internally set, I suspect a clockwork Hong Kong traffic Island toy (not very British, but a change of figure, and you could produce the same toy for various markets), but equally he has the look of an early British-made figure, so any glues gratefully received.

The pair; they are equally interesting, the breadth of subject would suggest tourist items, but they are quite small (about 45/50mil) and there's no sign of key-ring chain etc . . . yet, while they look quite new, the material on the chipped base appears to be a form of vulcanised rubber, similar to vehicle tyres . . . so I wonder if they are in fact pieces from an older, London-centric board-game, also aimed at tourists?
 
Meanwhile, the pi . . . err officer of the law to their right, is too-humorous to be making 'that' point, and who'd try to get away with it in public, so I'm guessing one of several/many similar pig-occupations, from one of the jewellery-shop window sets of overpriced resin tat?

There were five piratey pieces, two of which are beyond the scope of the Blog really, and have gone to charity, but they have been shot for ITLAPD, and that's why they were sent! These are well within the scope, and we've seen the lady here, the figure on the left is new, PVC and probably from a cheap rack-toy, but I bet there is another pose, if not three (two pairs maybe), so that search is now on!
 
While the one in the middle probably has some age, and is best described as a pre-Soma, Soma-type! Squat, softish polyethylene or rigid PVC and rather play worn, but a nice find on Chris's part.
 
To the above I've added a few full-military types; of which the Victorian paper 'scrap' is probably the nicest item, I will scan it in and post it on the Airfix Colour Party page as a painting guide type thing! The Speedwell is damages and home-painted, but I'm not sure if I have one, so it stays as a sample for now, while the pair of Risk figures will be checked against the rest for colour variance! Even the semi-flat finding is fun, and will get a bag for now, probably an old Schneider?

3 comments:

Gisby said...

Hugh, a couple of points:

1. In the last picture, note that the red cavalryman is riding a copy of an Airfix horse.

2. Look closely at your RISK figures. I picked up some from a UK supplier, and they differed in detail from the US-produced figures. (Although who knows where either was produced) My supplier did produce game pieces for Hasbro though.

3. Those 'Dress with Plasticene' figures. I remember having them as a child.

Hugh Walter said...

Hello mate! Yes, we've looked at them, I call them the Maid Marion guards, because it's not just the horse, it's the whole maid with a bearskin!

https://smallscaleworld.blogspot.com/2014/08/r-is-for-red-blobs.html

The Plasticine thing is fascinating, as the figures are converted from Johilco Hollow-cast dancers who all had names, but obviously their midriffs have been excavated on the plastic version to give the Plasticine somewhere to purchase . . . I will do a full article, and there will be more shots when I start the show report, but I think there's a Sandown and London show still in the queue!

H

Gisby said...

Looking at the article, I don't think those are bearskins - I think they are crudely done Hussars or RHA. The cap appears to have a bag, and they seem to have pelisses.