About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, May 15, 2023

H is for How They Come In - Chris - Wild West

I think I'm right in saying Chris isn't much of a Wild West collector, excepting where that coincides with one of his core themes - Early British minor makes, so his parcels to the blog, and therefore the rest of you, always have a fair bit of Wild West in and a fair bit of that is interesting!

The small scale, as I've said before this all needs further sorting, and will appear, eventually, on the Giant or What? page! Two bags this time, one a right-old mix, the other quite a clean sample, and there were a few in the bottom of the box!
 
The forts too need further sorting as several people had a stab at them or copied/carried them, this isn't Giant as it has the Fort Chyenne over the gates, Giant's was unnamed.

Next size-up and we have a couple of Lucky Clover Indians, one of the - probably - French, reduced-size, premium copies of Jean's swivel waist figures. A pair of Marx, a trio of Blue Box, a horse divorced from its West German wagon, and two figures I've never seen before!
 
Both swivel waist, no more that 25mm and I think I found their horse, which may have come from Chris in a previous bundle. I suspect I have no more than one or two in all the - litaerally - tens of thousands of Hong Kong hollow-horses, sorted or waiting, and I think the other's might be a white one and a limp-green one?
 
But what a thing to find, in a donation! Both are damaged, I'm guessing yellow probably had a pistol on his left hand, and red might have been waving a rifle, but how many are there in the whole set, are they Hong Kong, or some minor make from Italy or Portugal or somwhere, has anyone else got any? Among the 'best items' in the parcel!

Next size up and inset are a small scale who missed the other shot and bits of a CGGC, Giodi or Kinder figure, with a Siku premium top-left in the main image, next to a Christmas cracker-toy of the old Marx moulding of Pecos Bill.
 
The lower row includes from the left, a semi-flat in soft ethylene who might be Hungarian, but wasn't in that bag, another of the ones I think are French premiums or bazaar toys, with the neat, parallel-sided, oval bases and two of a Hong Kong lot who turn-up so frequently I can't understand why I haven't seen a whole set (card or bag) on feebleBay yet . . . but it should turn-up one day!

Up another size for the Toumoulage originals, with - again - believed to be French, probably premiums, smaller copies, the larger unpainted (late production?) 'styrene, the smaller, the softer polyethylene. The green one, actually belongs with the larger figures and is a polystyrene original.
 
Chris has managed to find another three of the Lone Star shooting game figures, all yellow, in three different junk-lots/purchases! I have to confess with a few more come in, in the last year or two, I've lost track of them, but I think we're getting close to full sets of both colours, although they were issued alternating in the sets!
 
Below them, we have one of the Crescent/Lido poses we've covered here recently, and next to him a painted one, which from the clues on the underside of the base, has come straight off one of those W. German pencil sharpeners. Note he's larger than the standard figure, something which wasn't clear in the previous posts on the subject - I've said it before; Pantographing can go up as well as down!
 
Either side of the cowboy pair are a couple of matching hard plastic, painted Indians without bases which would appear to from a similar novelty line/item, but no clues as to what, or how many poses we're looking for?

A small bag of Hong Kong swoppet copies, same note as the canoe post the other day, a late, two-halves with belly-moulded Airfix horse, I'll give him the tail of one with a missing leg or two!
 
Three HK figures 'after' those Bergan/Beton-Airfix-F&G-Tudor Rose (et al) figures, my first Carzol premium, an MPC ACW clone, a hard 'styrene paddler from Thomas and a very interesting copy (unmarked) of a Crescent cowboy? 

Finally, a wagon driver, to which I said in my email to Chris - we always go over the highlights before I share them with you - "The Wagoneer looks modern, but might actually be older, 1970's? Although he's quite realistic, he may be from a comical wagon, or novelty?", only to be looking in the new (newish, I think I mentioned them in the autumn) thematic folders for something to send Paul M when I found him . . .

. . . bottom right! And although the wagon is almost as realistic as him (some whacky wheels action goin' down there), the artwork on the box is every-bit as cartoony as I was expecting, and I'm not claiming it for my abilities as a soothsayer, but more the old back of the mind being triggered!
 
This is lovely, he's missing his feather, but that's the sort of thing which will turn-up in a junk lot or on a tattier, loose figure, but having seen or mentioned Hong Kong, Russia, Dulcop and Kinder on these 'Charlie' figures, here's a Směr one, from the former Czechoslovakia!
 
Finally, this pair were in a lot from Australia, which won't be in these posts, as they are destined for greater things elsewhere! But these two are interesting for several reasons, first we're back with the Crescent hollow-cast/Lido set again with the chap on the left.
 
But he's clearly paired with the mounted figure who seems to be a copy of a semi-flat, possibly home-casting mould, which could be another Schneider or even something more local . . . there must have been Aussie metal manufacturers? The quatrefoil bases should be a clue?
 
And who made these, between the Australian end and the island next door (NZ) there are about a dozen names in the archive now, not all of them necessarily toy makers, not all of them shooting plastics? So tatty, and probably very old, but fascinating additions to the stash, cheers Chris!

No comments: