About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, November 13, 2023

BB is for Blue Box

Except that prior to BBI nobody used BB except Mr. Sell, who abbreviates everything! An uninspiring heading, but a simplified one I don't think we've actually had before, and it's a rather uninspired article I'm afraid, unless you're very new to the hobby, in which case you won't even get the Sell reference, but might get a lot, or something, from these images!
 
I shot the mounted Japanese officer as I was putting them into storage, but the shots didn't add much to what had gone before, so the folder just lay there, I got some more unpainted ones as 'bi-catch' with a lot of British Infantry (the only 1960/70's Blue Box figure I still need from the four sets now, is a decent British mine-clearer, they are always either broken or short-shots!) so shot them again, and at some points I spent a few minutes shooting the mounted figures again - twice!
 
So there were all these images in a folder, none of which add much to previous posts on the subject, therefore it's not a follow-up, it's not a box-ticker, I guess it's just a Picasa-clearer! I'll throw them up here, move a couple around and with minor captions, let the images tell their own story, remembering to thank Nazar Marchenko who filled the original gaps in my fledgling sample, eight years ago.

Painted officer, mounted
 

Comparison between painted and unpainted officers
Horses are different colours
 
More! More officers, more horses, another horse colour

Unpainted set of foot figures from both sides

Random shots and a base-mark with the '3' cavity numeral
Top image is plastic-colour variants isn't it!

Mostly unpainted against a few painted
Must have been a late-in trio?

All the unpainted's from both sides and the officer

An evilBay lot, which appears to suggest, as I'd mused . . . mooted (?) in the past, that they all had an issue, at some point, with the plug-in 'farm/zoo workers' base, as that's Aussies, Japs and Germans now found either with the green oblong base, or, in this case, needing them!
 
With three horses and only two riders, a long term goal is to find a third rider and paint him up, with a set of the infantry.

No comments: