About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, November 12, 2023

F is for Follow-up - Remembrance Sunday

Which this is, all day! Brian Burke sent me some fascinating images yesterday, by way of a follow-up to the poppy post I left up yesterday morning, while waiting for my pick-up in the early hours, for onward transport to the toy show!

I think this is a lovely poppy! This (left) is an American one, and in Brian's own words;
 
"On the right UK, from some years ago when in the UK in October, on the left USA from two years ago. Hard to find here where Veterans Day is not the same meaning as UK and Poppies are sold by Veterans of Foreign Wars members (VFW Posts)"
 
I had no idea the American did them, albeit as a minority thing? And I love the little beady centre to the poppy, and the fact that it's got a more environmentally friendly wire stalk with green paper wrap, like those bunches of mushrooms, grapes or mini-baubles you can get for Christmas trees, flower arranging, cheese-boards &etc., and which are among the oldest surviving decorations still findable.
 
So many thanks to Brian for that speedy follow-up! I also think, Australia/NZ do them as well as Canada, are any of them different to the Haig Fund/British Legion ones, they must be, even if it's only the message in the centre?

And it's funny, I 'ummed & ahrred' about my last paragraph in the previous post, but decided - with everything else going on - to leave it in the post anyway, I do wear my heart on my sleeve, as well as a poppy on my breast, and subsequent events involving Tommy Yaxley-Lennon Robinson Wanker and his Right Wing mates attacking the Cenotaph (as Madame Cruella and the tabloid press, as good as invited them to) while the 'Left Wing' Ceasefire in Palestine march behaved itself elsewhere in London at the same time, only proved I was right to do so, that I was correct in speaking out.

The Left is right, and the Right is wrong, always has been, always will be . . . all of Human History is about the slow progress (oh so slow) of the Left, of tolerance, of liberal values, of science over 'belief', and the sacrifices in all wars are for that aim of a better world, not a worse one. In the last 15-odd years, the Global establishment as been dragging us into a worse world, and a bigger war is coming. Please, this day, of all days . . . Remember them.

No comments: