About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, November 20, 2023

D is for Dino-Mag - 1 of 3

Another trio of posts! I could have done it as a two I guess, but I had a lot to go on before I did all the collages, and they broke-down easier as three! I've followed this mag pretty casually, only buying it when I feel flush or there is something particularly interesting/worthwhile on the cover, and these posts are what's come-in over the last four years or so.
 
I can't remember if we've done this Mag already, some may be a bot older, but I wasn't paying much attention to the dates, just got on with the images, but they are in the order I took them which should be vaguely chronological!

So this was the first one I noticed (if we haven't had them before), and it wasn't until I got it home that I realised the larger model had a stunted tail! But the fact that the two 'baby' T-Rex's are different sculpts sort of made up for it, and the large one either went to recycling or charity?
 
Another one with half-crap contents, but that's the shtick, isn't it? For the kids or parents of kids who want to follow these mags, most of which are quite short-lived; to get the good ones, you have to pay for enough poor ones to make the thing profitable over its run.
 
I just liked that you got an adult and a baby, even if it is that poor-man's Dimetrodon; a Spinosaur . . . which  - speaking of Dimetrodons - I learnt the other day weren't dinosaurs, but the precursor of dinosaurs, which themselves, probably went on to be mammals or something . . . which might be why the better-modelled ones tend to have that dog-like countenance, they are distant kin?

This one was a bit daft and I thought it might amuse one day (this day!), as it's a capsule toy in which the contents of the - open - capsule are clearly visible! Although all these are in bright, unrealistic colours and look a lot like erasers, they are all modern, environmentally-clean[er], stable (as far as we know, only time will tell) PVC-substitute, polymers.

Note also, it's not the same magazine, this is Cbeebies, the little kiddies BBC mag, I mean they are both BBC mag's, but this title is aimed at a lower-aged demographic, and had dinosaurs as a coincidence, not a regular occurrence, although the eponymous 'Andy' of the other title is there.
 
Another one where the main-item went straight to charity or recycling, pretty sure it was charity, as I thought it was a fun novelty some kid would like to muck-about with on a tedious shopping trip! And with two larger dinosaurs, I was building a more varied sample of the Mag's output . . . more in an hour!

No comments: